I was never really a boxing fan, I mean, I watched the “big” fights but never …
The current UFC Featherweight champion Conor McGregor stated in previous interviews “he’s only human”, when asked why he responds to criticism from fellow athletes in the world of sport.
Now he has replied to one of the richest athletes to ever grace the fighting world.
Mentioned in our previous article earlier in the week, a fake Facebook Conor McGregor fan account posted a response for Floyd “Money” Mayweather’s remarks, claiming Conor’s “race” is a key reason for his sudden rise to fame.
Conor McGregor had other intentions, first thanking the support from various major organisations before addressing Floyd Mayweather Jnr himself. Conor wrote on his official Facebook:
1. Rolling Stone, thank you for putting me as one of your top 25 sex symbols of 2015! My Mother will be delighted and proud!
2. ESPN, FOX, BT Sports, MMA Fighting, Yahoo, MMA Junkie and Sherdog thank you all for awarding me fighter of the year 2015!
I appreciate all the hardworking media and their love and commitment to the sport is truly valued.
3. Fighters Only MMA Awards, thank you for the nominations for Fighter of the Year, KO of the Year, International Fighter of the year.
I will be in Las Vegas to attend the event and collect all my awards.
4. Floyd Mayweather, don’t ever bring race into my success again. I am an Irishman. My people have been oppressed our entire existence. And still very much are. I understand the feeling of prejudice. It is a feeling that is deep in my blood.
In my family’s long history of warfare there was a time where just having the name ‘McGregor’ was punishable by death.
Do not ever put me in a bracket like this again.
If you want we can organise a fight no problem.
I will give you a fair 80/20 split purse in my favour seen as your last fight bombed at every area of revenue.
At 27 years of age I now hold the key to this game.
The game answers to me now.
5. Media instigators/An Garda Siochana.
I apologise for having the air-soft in public. I was simply rehearsing for a potential upcoming film role.
I understand that the more traffic a story can get the more revenue it generates. So I understand and respect that the media must create these stories and these situations even if at times it is at other people’s expense.
We’ve all got to eat. And I eat well.
So I will not complain.
6. My next fight.
What can I say, it’s just another night of easy work for me.
I don’t just own the game. I run it too.
Although Floyd Mayweather Jnr’s last fight against Andre Berto in 2015 and in his career drew in a mediocre $32million (still impressive in my eyes), Mayweather is the only other elite athlete (Tiger Woods the other) to grace the “$100 million and over earnings” club.
Known as “MysticMac”, Conor in many professional eyes has made some improbable statements. But in true notorious fashion, Conor achieved those statements with flying colours.
He has let the fighting world not just UFC, there’s a new kid in town.
Mayweather camp, it’s on you.
Featured Image: Andrius Petrucenia via Wikimedia Commons